Wednesday 18 February 2009

New Weather



One of the poems that makes me fall in love with words all over again. It made Paul Muldoon a poetry megastar at just 21 years old: now he is poetry editor of the New Yorker. Sparse and painfully plain. Not a word is misplaced. Pure art.

AT
-------------------------

Wind and Tree


In the way that most of the wind

Happens where there are trees,

Most of the world is centred
About ourselves.


Often where the wind has gathered
The trees together and together,


One tree will take
Another in her arms and hold.


Their branches that are grinding

Madly together and together,


It is no real fire.

They are breaking each other.


Often I think I should be like

The single tree, going nowhere,


Since my own arm could not and would not

Break the other. Yet by my broken bones

I tell new weather.


by Paul Muldoon

No comments:

Post a Comment